Parent of a British Child


Parent of a British Child

The category is intended for a parent who is responsible for the child or has the right to access to the child after breaking the relationship with the other parent who is British or settled person.

In order for a parent to get permission to enter the UK in this category, the child must be:
• under 18 years of age at the date of the initial application;
• British or settled in the UK;
• living in the UK.

Requirements to the parent:

• to demonstrate sole parental responsibility in relation to the child;
• to provide evidence that the applicant is involved and will continue to play a major role in the child’s upbringing;
• to demonstrate that the applicant will be able to provide himself/herself and the child with adequate accommodation and maintenance;
• to demonstrate proficiency in English at the A1 level (Listening and Speaking).

The applicant shall be granted a 2.5 year visa, which then may be extended for another 2.5 years. After five years, the applicant can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, and after another 12 months – for British citizenship. When extending a visa, it will be necessary to demonstrate knowledge of the English language at the A2 level (Listening and Speaking), and when applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain, at the B1 level.

If the applicant is unable to provide for himself and the child financially or is unable to pass an English test, he will be forced to take a 10-year route (2.5 years x 4). The visa will need to be extended three times.

A parent can apply for a visa from the UK if he/she is in the UK on any visa that is valid for more than 6 months (except for a visit visa).
When the child turns 18, the parent must show that the child is still in his/her care and depends on him/her.